"Meklit delivers a sound all her own" - USA TODAY
“You may not have heard Meklit’s music before, but once you do, it’ll be tough to forget. - NPR
"A wildly groovy style of music." - ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY
"She is stunning." - SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
“Soulful, tremulous and strangely cinematic, Meklit's voice will implant scenes in your mind — a softly lit supperclub, a Brooklyn stoop, a sun-baked road. Close your eyes, listen and dream. - SEATTLE TIMES
“Meklit is one of those rare artists with the power to bridge genres, geography and generations.” -GOOGLE MUSIC
Meklit and her projects have also been covered by: The Wall St. Journal, The New Yorker, New York Times, WNYC, KEXP Seattle, San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Sun Times, PBS, PRI’s The World, Time Out New York, BBC Radio 4 - Front Row, BBC Women's Hour, BBC World Service - Focus on Africa + Arts Daily, Seattle Times, Seattle Weekly, National Geographic World Music, Huffington Post, Filter Magazine, Le Presse (Montreal), MTV Iggy, OkayAfrica, The Village Voice, Google Music, Relix Magazine, Pidgeons and Planes, WIRED Magazine UK and many more.
THE NEW RECORD
Meklit's new album comes out in mid-2017 on Six Degrees records, and is produced by multi-GRAMMY winning singer-songwriter/producer Dan Wilson. Deeply inspired by Mulatu Astatke - the Godfather of Ethio-Jazz, this is immigrant music and American music at once, as Oakland as it is Addis Ababa. Videos and audio coming soon!
Kemekem (I Like Your Afro), Featuring Samuel Yirga, named top African track of 2015 by both the BBC and OkayAfrica!
PAST SHOW HIGHLIGHTS
Meklit has played at Bumbershoot, SXSW, Skirball Center (NYC + LA), Southbank Centre (London 2013 + 2015), Moods (Zurich), The Kennedy Center, the Hollywood Bowl, the TED Conferences (Edinburgh, Rio di Janeiro, Long Beach), Monterey Jazz Festival, Nuits D’Afrique (Montreal), SFJazz Center, Triple Door, Vancouver Jazz Fest, The Monk (Rome), Davies Symphony Hall for Pop Up Presents the Beck Song-Reader (with Beck, Melody of China, John C. Riley), Nairobi's Blanket's and Wine Music Festival, Gondar Castles - World Heritage Site Ethiopia, Uganda National Theater, Aswan Cultural Palace, and many many more.
- Meklit's TED Talk reached 1.2 million views
- Debuted new body of music in a three night sold-out run at YBCA in San Francisco.
- Completed a musical commission for the prestigious MAP Fund.
- Led a residency of 35 young musicians from all the youth music programs in Manchester, UK. Created a body of music with them in 5 days, performed it with musicians from the BBC Philharmonic at BBC Philharmonic Concert Hall.
- Press tour of Ethiopia. 8 interviews on national outlets + 2 shows at Dr. Mulatu Astatke's Africa Jazz Village.
- Residencies at Purdue University, U. of Mssouri, U. of Maryland.
- Schomburg Women's Jazz Festival + Smithsonian Folklife Festival, plus many more performances.
- Recorded new album and co-wrote two songs with multi-GRAMMY winner Dan Wilson.